- •Interest in novel biomarkers of neurodegeneration is growing.
- •We measured novel and established cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers.
- •The diagnostic performances of all combinations were investigated.
- •We identified the biomarker combinations with the highest accuracy.
- •Longitudinal investigations are required to validate our data.
- Alzheimer's disease
- Alzheimer's disease dementia
- Diagnostic biomarkers
- Biomarker combination
- Cerebrospinal fluid
- Neurofilament light chain
- Pathophysiological pathways
- Clinical diagnosis
- Cognitive aging
- Mild cognitive impairment
- Frontotemporal dementia
- Precision medicine
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Alzheimer's & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer's Association
- Alzheimer's disease.Lancet Lond Engl. 2016; 388: 505-517
- Presence of parieto-temporal symptomatology distinguishes early and late onset Alzheimer's disease.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1991; 6: 147-154
- Confusional symptomatology distinguishes early- and late-onset Alzheimer's disease.Aging Milan Italy. 1990; 2: 395-401
- Imaging epigenetics in Alzheimer's disease.Curr Pharm Des. 2013; 19: 6393-6415
- Alzheimer's disease.Lancet Lond Engl. 2006; 368: 387-403
- Core candidate neurochemical and imaging biomarkers of Alzheimer's disease.Alzheimers Dement. 2008; 4: 38-48
- Biological markers for therapeutic trials in Alzheimer's disease. Proceedings of the biological markers working group; NIA initiative on neuroimaging in Alzheimer's disease.Neurobiol Aging. 2003; 24: 521-536
- Cerebrospinal fluid and plasma biomarkers in Alzheimer disease.Nat Rev Neurol. 2010; 6: 131-144
- CSF and blood biomarkers for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15: 673-684
- Synaptic degeneration and neurogranin in the pathophysiology of Alzheimer's disease.Expert Rev Neurother. 2017; 17: 47-57
- Neuroinflammation in Alzheimer's disease.Lancet Neurol. 2015; 14: 388-405
- Diagnostic function of the neuroinflammatory biomarker YKL-40 in Alzheimer's disease and other neurodegenerative diseases.Expert Rev Proteomics. 2017; 14: 285-299
Baldacci F, Lista S, Garaci F, Bonuccelli U, Toschi N, Hampel H. Biomarker-guided classification scheme of neurodegenerative diseases. J Sport Health Sci n.d. doi:10.1016/j.jshs.2016.08.007. [E-pub ahead of print].
- Toward precision medicine in Alzheimer's disease.Ann Transl Med. 2016; 4: 107
- National Institute on Aging-Alzheimer's Association guidelines for the neuropathologic assessment of Alzheimer's disease.Alzheimers Dement J Alzheimers Assoc. 2012; 8: 1-13
- Cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease: the present and the future.Neurodegener Dis. 2011; 8: 413-420
- Role of amyloid β1-42 and neuroimaging biomarkers in Alzheimer's disease.Biomark Med. 2011; 5: 411-413
- Development of biomarkers to chart all Alzheimer's disease stages: the royal road to cutting the therapeutic Gordian knot.Alzheimers Dement. 2012; 8: 312-336
- Biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease: academic, industry and regulatory perspectives.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2010; 9: 560-574
- Advancing research diagnostic criteria for Alzheimer's disease: the IWG-2 criteria.Lancet Neurol. 2014; 13: 614-629
- A/T/N: An unbiased descriptive classification scheme for Alzheimer disease biomarkers.Neurology. 2016; 87: 539-547
- Neurofilament proteins in neurodegenerative diseases.Cell Mol Life Sci CMLS. 2004; 61: 3057-3075
- Neurofilament phosphoforms: surrogate markers for axonal injury, degeneration and loss.J Neurol Sci. 2005; 233: 183-198
- Neurogranin, a link between calcium/calmodulin and protein kinase C signaling in synaptic plasticity.IUBMB Life. 2010; 62: 597-606
- Cerebrospinal fluid neurogranin and YKL-40 as biomarkers of Alzheimer's disease.Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2016; 3: 12-20
- Neurogranin and YKL-40: independent markers of synaptic degeneration and neuroinflammation in Alzheimer's disease.Alzheimers Res Ther. 2015; 7: 74
- Cerebrospinal fluid tau, neurogranin, and neurofilament light in Alzheimer's disease.EMBO Mol Med. 2016; 8: 1184-1196
- A Precision Medicine Initiative for Alzheimer's disease: the road ahead to biomarker-guided integrative disease modeling.Climacteric. 2017; 20: 107-118
- Clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: report of the NINCDS-ADRDA Work Group under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Services Task Force on Alzheimer's Disease.Neurology. 1984; 34: 939-944
- The diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment due to Alzheimer's disease: recommendations from the National Institute on Aging-Alzheimer's Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer's disease.Alzheimers Dement. 2011; 7: 270-279
- Frontotemporal lobar degeneration: a consensus on clinical diagnostic criteria.Neurology. 1998; 51: 1546-1554
- Toward defining the preclinical stages of Alzheimer's disease: recommendations from the National Institute on Aging-Alzheimer's Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer's disease.Alzheimers Dement. 2011; 7: 280-292
- Standardization of measurement of beta-amyloid(1-42) in cerebrospinal fluid and plasma.Amyloid. 2000; 7: 245-258
- Tau protein in cerebrospinal fluid: a biochemical marker for axonal degeneration in Alzheimer disease?.Mol Chem Neuropathol. 1995; 26: 231-245
- Quantification of tau phosphorylated at threonine 181 in human cerebrospinal fluid: a sandwich ELISA with a synthetic phosphopeptide for standardization.Neurosci Lett. 2000; 285: 49-52
- The Alzheimer's Association external quality control program for cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers.Alzheimers Dement. 2011; 7: 386-395.e6
- Global standardization measurement of cerebral spinal fluid for Alzheimer's disease: an update from the Alzheimer's Association Global Biomarkers Consortium.Alzheimers Dement. 2013; 9: 137-140
- Cerebrospinal fluid levels of the synaptic protein neurogranin correlates with cognitive decline in prodromal Alzheimer's disease.Alzheimers Dement. 2015; 11: 1180-1190
- pROC: an open-source package for R and S+ to analyze and compare ROC curves.BMC Bioinformatics. 2011; 12: 77
- Translational biomarker discovery in clinical metabolomics: an introductory tutorial.Metabolomics. 2013; 9: 280-299
Nonparametric Econometrics: The np Package | Hayfield | Journal of Statistical Software n.d. Available at: https://www.jstatsoft.org/article/view/v027i05. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- Association of cerebrospinal fluid neurofilament light concentration with Alzheimer disease progression.JAMA Neurol. 2016; 73: 60-67
- Longitudinal measurements of cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers in Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord. 2016; 31: 898-905
- Cerebrospinal fluid neurofilament light chain protein levels in subtypes of frontotemporal dementia.BMC Neurol. 2013; 13: 54
- Diagnostic accuracy of CSF neurofilament light chain protein in the biomarker-guided classification system for Alzheimer's disease.Neurochem Int. 2017; 108: 355-360
- Cerebrospinal fluid markers of Alzheimer's disease pathology and microglial activation are associated with altered white matter microstructure in asymptomatic adults at risk for Alzheimer's disease.J Alzheimers Dis. 2016; 50: 873-886
- Two-level diagnostic classification using cerebrospinal fluid YKL-40 in Alzheimer's disease.Alzheimers Dement. 2017; 13: 993-1003
- Novel diagnostic cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers for pathologic subtypes of frontotemporal dementia identified by proteomics.Alzheimers Dement (Amst). 2016; 2: 86-94
- CSF biomarkers for the differential diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: A large-scale international multicenter study.Alzheimers Dement. 2015; 11: 1306-1315
- PRECISION MEDICINE - the golden gate for detection, treatment and prevention of Alzheimer’s disease.J Prev Alzheimers Dis. 2016; 11: 1306-1315
- The cellular phase of Alzheimer's disease.Cell. 2016; 164: 603-615
- Both total and phosphorylated tau are increased in Alzheimer's disease.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatr. 2001; 70: 624-630
- Phospho-tau/total tau ratio in cerebrospinal fluid discriminates Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease from other dementias.Mol Psychiatry. 2003; 8: 343-347
- Transient increase in total tau but not phospho-tau in human cerebrospinal fluid after acute stroke.Neurosci Lett. 2001; 297: 187-190
H.H. serves as a senior associate editor for the Journal Alzheimer's & Dementia; he has been a scientific consultant and/or speaker and/or attended scientific advisory boards of Axovant, Anavex, Eli Lilly and company, GE Healthcare, Cytox Ltd, Jung Diagnostics GmbH, Roche, Biogen Idec, Takeda-Zinfandel, Oryzon genomics, Qynapse, Merck, Sharp & Dohme (MSD); and he receives research support from the Association for Alzheimer Research (Paris), Pierre and Marie Curie University (Paris), and Pfizer and Avid (paid to institution); and he has patents but receives no royalties. H.Z. and K.B. are cofounders of Brain Biomarker Solutions in Gothenburg AB, a GU Venture–based platform company at the University of Gothenburg. S.E. received lecture honoraria from Roche and Astellas Pharma and participated on scientific advisory boards of GE Healthcare and Eli Lilly. R.G. is a former employee of Sanofi and holds stocks of Sanofi; he declares no conflict of interest on this work. B.D. reports personal fees from Eli Lilly and company. S.L. received lecture honoraria from Roche. N.T., F.B., I.K., S.J.T., E.C., A.M.d.S., F.L., R.F., and F.G. declare no conflict of interest.